Monday, February 15, 2010

Blog Topic


In a Nutshell
In theory, globalization is meant to connect the world’s economies through trade and communication.  However, it is more focused on economics.  Although, it is not meant to be a bad system, in reality what happens is the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.  The poor aren’t just lazy adults as we would all like to believe.  Children are victims as well.

My Idea
I chose to focus my blog on children in Africa who suffer the consequences of globalization.  There are approximately 80 million child laborers in Africa today.  That’s around 40% of Africa’s children between the ages of 5 and 14 years.  Not only do the children suffer the possibility of working in a sweat shop, but they are abused, sexually exploited, and abducted.  Children are an easy target because they are more naïve than adults.  They are less aware of their rights, they are more trusting, easier to discipline, easier to manipulate, and are more likely to follow orders.  Not to mention, they are expendable.  Because children do not have special skills, they are more apt to be disposed of.   

What I Want to Know
As a criminal justice major I feel I should be more aware of the problems that exist not only in our own country, but others as well.  Especially when our major corporations are the reason young children are not aware of their rights, or do not have any for that matter.  I want to know what is happening behind the scenes; what no one wants to talk about, but everyone contributes to.  I feel like it is my duty as a consumer to know what I am really purchasing when I buy a name brand item.

A little bit about children around the globe suffering from globalization:

No comments:

Post a Comment